What is McKinney-Vento? Are you in a temporary/ transitional living situation due to an economic hardship?
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act is a federal law that ensures immediate enrollment and educational stability for homeless children and youth. McKinney-Vento provides federal funding to states for the purpose of supporting district programs that serve homeless students.
Definition of Homeless:
The McKinney-Vento Act defines Homeless students as lacking a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, and includes children and youth who are:
- Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason;
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or campgrounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations;
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters;
- Abandoned in hospitals;
- Living in public or private places not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings;
- Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings;
- Migratory and living in conditions described in the previous examples.
- Unaccompanied youth living in conditions described in the previous examples.
Rights of the Student:
- Immediate enrollment regardless of ability to present student records and immunizations
- Assistance securing necessary school and medical documents, records, immunizations
- Right to attend their school of origin or school of residence
- Continued attendance at school of origin for the remainder of the school year after permanent housing is secured.
- Equal access to programs available to other students (ELL, Title 1, Spec. Ed….)
- Transportation to/from the school of origin/residence
- Free school meals
- Referral to community resources and agencies
Who do I contact to learn more?
Sedro-Woolley School District Contact:
- Rinny Shelton
- District McKinney-Vento Liaison
Washington State Contact:
- Melinda Dyer
- Program Supervisor, Education of Homeless Children and Youth
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- (360) 725-6050 or TTY (360) 664-3631
To learn more about McKinney-Vento: