About Miss Mary Purcell, by Juley:In her first days of teaching school in Skagit County, Miss Mary Purcell taught at a school that does not exist today. The school was called Rexville. In the spring of 1902, one of Sedro-Woolley’s nine teachers, Miss Winnie McGrath resigned, so Miss Mary took her place. All of Sedro-Woolley’s nine teachers taught in the same building. It was a frame school that stood where Central presides to this very day. It was called the Franklin school where a man named J.C. Roe was principal.Mary Purcell was a classroom teacher until she was promoted toprincipal in 1909, just 9 years after coming to Sedro-Woolley.In 1918, she had completed state requirements for her“Life Certificate” and in July 17, 1918 she was registeredwith the Skagit County Superintendent. In 1925, Miss Maryhad been assigned to be principal of both Irving andFranklin schools, of which were steps away from eachother. Then in 1926 they demolished both schools inorder to make way for, what stands to this very day,Central Grade School.Miss Mary Purcell continued her job as principal at Central Elementary until she retired in 1947. But just 3 years earlier, she had plans hatched for a new school building. Then after 6 years, they had completed the school, which was named after her. Unfortunately, she was not able to see it through it’s first decade of existence for on September 20, 1957 Miss Mary passed away.
Last Modified on February 25, 2019